A Name Explained

What is a Southern Impasta you ask? Quite possibly a food pun.

You see I am what they call a real New Yorker. Someone who is quite direct or as others may put it,"neurotic". Born in Newark, NJ and then transplanted to a different "New York", upstate in the Finger Lakes, where there are more cows than people. But a "New Yorker" through and through. I was unaware of these geographical traits until I settled down with my husband a good ol' Mid Westerner from Michigan. He and I are quite alike even though we come from different parts of the world, but he explained to me that other people from the mid west may not consider me normal. See I grew up with an army trained father, who whistled when it was time for dinner and proclaimed "don't forget who you are" every time I walked out the door. So I haven't. And who I am is an outspoken, punny, probably not funny,  controlling, bull headed, people pleasing perfectionist, who speaks her mind, doesn't think about how someone might perceive her, loves a challenge or to challenge, tries to keep things straightforward, hates uncertainty, is definitely neurotic, and is always ready for a good adventure. But that's just normal here..right?

Anyway, my husband and I met at culinary school on the Hudson River, and went on internship in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina where we fell in love. Then we moved back to frigid New York where we finished school and moved to one of those northern cities that produce horror stories about snow accumulation. Since then, we moved back to my hometown of Ithaca where we holed up for over three years. We have explored the heck out of the area, adopted a doggo, gotten married, gained a lot of food related experience, and attempted to leave New York State for the warm rays of sunshine in the south twice before now. Now we are actually doing it, we are becoming residents of South Carolina and moving to Greenville. We move in one week and I am so anxious for our new adventure to begin.

So now I will try and fit in with the southerners, as a northerner and I am sure that some hilarious situations will result. I hope that you will follow my story as I attempt to navigate the south as a southern "impostor" (get it? impasta), exploring the food scene,  trekking through unknown terrain, and documenting it as I go. Let's see if I can learn to take on that southern charm, or if my roots /heels are in too deep.

Comments

Popular Posts